Shibe Park was the first concrete-and-steel stadium in the Major League and was named for Ben Shibe, an Athletics stockholder and baseball manufacturer. Until 1935, before the high right-field fence was extended to 50 feet, residents on 20th Street could see games free over the 12-foot right-field fence. It was renamed Connie Mack Stadium in 1953, after the Hall of Fame manager. The last game at Shibe Park was played on October 1, 1970 and it was torn down in June 1976.
When the Athletics announced their move from Philadelphia to Kansas City in November 1954, the stadium was completely rebuilt on the site of Blues Stadium, the home of the AA Kansas City Blues and the Negro Leagues Kansas City Monarchs. By opening day of the 1955 season, a roofed second deck was added and the name was changed to Municipal Stadium. The stadium was demolished in 1976 and the site is now a community garden.