Twins Press Release
Twins announce plans for 2014 Home Opener scheduled for Monday, April 7 at Target Field
Presented by SUPERAMERICA, the Twins will host the Oakland A's
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, Minn. - The Minnesota Twins today announced plans for the 2014 Home Opener, scheduled for 3:10 p.m. on Monday, April 7 versus the Oakland Athletics at Target Field.
All fans in attendance will receive a Twins magnet schedule. The Twins also plan several special events prior to the start of the game with gates opening at 1 p.m. (two hours before first pitch) to allow fans to get to the ballpark in plenty of time to enjoy the pregame festivities.
Monday, April 7 - Twins vs. Athletics
- 6 to 9 a.m. - Breakfast on the Plaza - Fans are invited to drive down 7th Street (adjacent to the Twins Majestic Clubhouse Store) and grab a free ballpark breakfast. Free food and beverages will also be available to bikers and pedestrians on the 7th Street side of Target Plaza.
- 1 p.m. - Gates open - legendary Twins players will ceremonially open their respective gates (Bert Blyleven will represent fellow Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew at Gate 3, Tony Oliva at Gate 6, Kent Hrbek at Gate 14, Tom Kelly will represent Rod Carew at Gate 29 and a Twins representative will represent Kirby Puckett at Gate 34).
- Approx. 2:30 p.m. - Home Free, a local a cappella group (Season 4 Champions of NBC's "The Sing-Off") will perform a pregame set on the field.
- The National Anthem will be performed by local singer and entrepreneur Thomasina Petrus.
- A ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by Minneapolis-based actor Barkhad Abdi, who was nominated for an Oscar for his role in the movie "Captain Philips." Following the first pitch, fans can meet Mr. Abdi in the new Twins Digital Clubhouse in the U.S. Bank Homerun Porch.
On-field pregame ceremony will include, in this order:
- Both teams will be introduced along the foul lines.
- A giant flag will be unfurled by Twins Season Ticket Holders and SUPERAMERICA representatives
- Gail Dorfman, former Hennepin County Commissioner, will raise the Hennepin County Flag.
- Ethan Nagle, a U.S. Marine from Prior Lake who recently received a Silver Star will raise the American Flag.
- Gene Capistrant, Twins season ticket holder since 1961, will raise the Twins Territory Flag.
In-game elements include:
- A ballpark-wide photo - Fans in attendance are encouraged to be in their seats during the 3rd inning to be a part of the Target Field ballpark-wide photo. Then, fans can visit www.twinsbaseball.com/tagoramic to find themselves at the game and tag their friends.
- "Take Me out to the Ballgame" in the 7th inning will be performed by children from Hope Kids, an organization that provides fun and activities for kids battling cancer.
- "God Bless America" will be performed by local a cappella group Home Free (Season 4 Champions of NBC's "The Sing-Off.")
Twins "Stand Up To Cancer" during Home Opener
As a show of support for Twins General Manager Terry Ryan and those impacted by cancer everywhere, players from both teams will wear Stand Up to Cancer (SU2C) uniform patches. In addition, both teams will sport special SU2C caps during batting practice. Following the game, the Twins batting practice caps will be autographed and auctioned off via twinsbaseball.com with proceeds benefitting SU2C.
At the end of the 2nd inning, all fans will be invited to join players from both teams as they "Stand Up To Cancer." Placards will be distributed to fans as they enter Target Field and fans will be encouraged to personalize their placard with the name of someone they know who has been affected by cancer.
In addition, fans will be encouraged to visit the new Twins Digital Clubhouse in the U.S. Bank Home Run Porch to sign a giant electronic sign, showing their support for SU2C.
The Twins' first Split the Pot Raffle of the 2014 season will benefit Stand Up To Cancer.
Season, group and single-game tickets for Opening Day and the remainder of the 2014 season at Target Field are now available at www.twinsbaseball.com, by calling 612-33-TWINS (612-338-9467) or 800-33- TWINS (800-338-9467), or in-person at the Target Field Ticket Office and at Twins Pro Shops located in Apple Valley, Roseville and Minnetonka.